I wanted my numerous requesters for the MachinimaCam Beta program to be informed that I am working very hard on the Beta 2 version of the cam before releasing it for beta testing. I have at least 20 pending requests for the new bugfixed camera. And I must say this build seems much promising. One of the new things I wanted to introduce is true space camera management. One of the best aspects of it is the ability to spatially lock a default position for your camera. Each time you finish using an effect, the camera automatically comes back to the default position. This is already implemented and working pretty well. This got rid of the bug causing the camera getting stuck in an awkward position after using Spincam, Twistercam and Spiralcam. Those now revert to the default position automatically, ready for using another effect.
Now, the hardest part, and the one I really want to get done, is for the FX requiring a startup position to take advantage of this new camera locking system. It may sound trivial, but since most FX don’t start using arbitrary positionning but rather on calculated position using rotational position algorythms, this is rather complex maths. In french, that means I want the Spincam and other rotation effects should start at the exact starting point of the default cam position. This is rather hardcore, implying even more heavy position and rot calculations, also angle calculations from 2 points of coordinates.
When this is done, you will be able to point your avie, lock the cam in a 60 degree angle, and watch it spin around from up in the air. This should allow almost infinite rotationnal effects around your avie. More details to come. If some scripter out here could help me with some of the heavy calculations on next sunday (Kisa? Mmmm? that would be mucho appreciated. If not don’t worry, the Codie always manage on her own.
The actual status is 80% done. The documentations are 90% done, I need to describe the list of FX and what they do, the installation and basics are pretty covered. I plan to start working on it again on sunday morning, I hope to have a decent Beta 2 ready for sunday night, if all goes well. So gear yourself little machinima droogies, the goodie is coming and quickly! If you reeeeeally cannot wait for the Beta 2, I can provide the Beta 1 but I got all the bug feedbacks I needed on this one.
On another joyful note, my latest machinima video, Beauty is only skin deep:
- just got 600 Views since publication, 4 days ago. Tenebrous Pau, my machinima guru, thinks it’s a good hit rate.
- 53 Views since I published on Archive.Org here: http://www.archive.org/details/BeautyIsOnlySkinDeep
- Media parcel URL to stream the video in SecondLife: http://www.archive.org/download/BeautyIsOnlySkinDeep/CodebastardRedgrave-BeautyIsOnlySkinDeep_256kb.mp4
- Registered as a show on blip.tv: http://codebastard.blip.tv/
- Want it on your Video iPod via iTunes or DemocracyTV (now called Miro)? Here’s the vpodcast link: http://codebastard.blip.tv/rss/itunes
- I have recieved litteraly over a hundred comments through IM, Flickr, Youtube and by email. Thank you people, so damn much, it made that work worth it a thousand times!
- A couple people blogged about about it: Mairead Fitzgerald, Melanie Kidd, Kimberley Mirabeau.
- Supposed to maby get a feature in SecondLife Insider anytime soon (*waves to Moo!*)
- Still waiting for Vint to wake up
- UPDATE: The video is on CyberSpaceBabes.Com! Thanks Mercy you are such a shweetheart! *muah!*
- UPDATE: Awww! Izzy just posted the sweetest blogpost about meh and that machinima. TY sweetie! *muah!*
Fun facts about Beauty is only skin deep:
- 4 hours of shooting
- 8 hours of cut / editing
- 1 hour for special effects and overlay text
- 30 minutes to export
- original format takes 89 megs, WMV format, available here
- soundtrack by Marquez Tone, you can ask the dude for the song
- edited with Microsoft Movie Maker 2, since it’s a first quick job
- only effects used are cross fades and B&W movie in one single place
- movie has been built on the soundtrack directly
- shot entirely in 800×600 originally
- more than 4 gigs of footage to cut from
- more than 80 pictures have been inserted in the cuts
- all of it done in one night, Saturday 8th 2007
Secondlifers, thank you for all of your support, your are my inspiration to do all of that. Thanks to Marquez Tone for not being too much of an ass, and for keeping contact with me even if he’s not in metaverse anymore. Thanks to all my friends for being in this movie.
Also, PLEASE feel free to pass it to your friends, copy the embed link on your website, blog about it, the video’s license is Creative Common Share-Alike non-commercial. So it is free to copy, view and spread around.